Photos - Julita and Jerome
Photos - Julita and Jerome
Tawau : The 11 members of the Diocesan Education Commission appointed 1st December 2013 convened its inaugural meeting on 29th March 2014 at the Conference Room, Holy Trinity Church and the formation session on 30th March 2014 at St Ursula Convent Secondary School.
Commission members comprise all Chairpersons of the 10 School Boards of Governors in the Diocese and two other appointed lay members. Philip Lee, the Chairman of the DEC for the 2nd term, chaired the meeting. Those attending the meeting were Francis Tan (Executive Secretary of the Diocese), Jerry Lo (Chairman, SBOG SK St Mary Town and SM St Mary Sandakan), Rose Solibun (Chairperson SBOG SK St Mary Convent Sandakan),Cecilia Polo D'Souza (Chairperson SM St Cecilia Convent Sandakan), Mary Benitez (Chairperson SBOG SM Holy Trinity Tawau), Mario Domingo (Chairman SBOG SM St Ursula Convent Tawau), Sebastian Jude Francis (Chairman SBOG SK St Dominic Lahad Datu), Kelvin Kong (Treasurer SBOG SK St Mary Labuk, Sandakan) and Theresa Chong (Principal, SM St Ursula Convent Tawau). Also in attendance was Fr David Aloysius Garaman, the assistant parish priest of HTC. The meeting touched on the following;
- Organizational Structure of Christian Mission Schools in Malaysia
- Federation of Councils of Christian Mission Schools Malaysia (FCCMSM)
- Malayan Christian Schools' Council (MCSC)
- Sabah Christian Schoolss' Council (SCSC)
- Sarawak Christian Schools' Council (SCSC)
- Sandakan Diocesan Education Commission (DEC)
- The Instrument of Government of Government Aided Schools
- Roles as Diocesan Education Commission Member / School Board of Governors
L-R : Mario Domingo, Mary Benitez, Jerry Lo, Francis Tan, Sebastian Jude Francis,
Cecilia D'Souza, Rose Solibun and Philip Lee
Members were commissioned during the Sunset Mass of the 4th Sunday of Lent also known as Rejoice/Joyful Sunday on 29th March 2014 presided by Msgr Nicholas Ong. Members pledged before God, in the presence of the presiding priest and the congregation of their willing service and commitment in response to the needs of Catholic Mission Schools. May the newly commissioned members receive the grace of God to be good stewards to what has been entrusted to their care.
The formation session on 30th March 2014 was held at St Ursula Convent Secondary School. Msgr Nicholas Ong was also present during the session. The following issues were deliberated at great length. The outcome of which shall be forwarded to the Mission Authority for perusal and endorsement;
- Physical addition to and improvement / renovation works on existing structures
- Standard procedures on the usage of Government grants
- Building up strategic reserve funds
- Appointment of Head Teacher / Senior Assistant
- Set up a data base of Catholic teachers
- Teaching of Bible Knowledge
- Set up of Non-Islamic Religious Clubs
The meeting and formation session were lively and fruitful with a great sense of openness. At its conclusion, Commission members are now clearer about the expectation as regards to their position in the DEC and SBOGs. The next meeting is scheduled in September at St Dominic's Church, Lahad Datu.