Tawau : 18 out of the 20 members of the Christian Family Life Ministry of Holy Trinity Parish Tawau, attended a half-day recollection facilitated by Rev. Fr. Charles Chiew of Keningau Diocese. The spiritual enrichment session was held on 3rd March 2013 from 8.00 am till 2.30 pm.
|Participants with Fr Charles, seated 3rd left|
The objective of the recollection is to built up the spiritual commitment among members and to further enrich the spiritual knowledge or experience in serving the Lord. The Recollection began with the Bible Enthronement, Proclamation of the Word followed by a reflection by Julita. Recitation of the Rosary took place right after the reflection led by Sr. Tauria FSIC. Mario Domingo, Chairman of the Family Life Ministry shared on the background and journey of the Family Life Ministry.
Fr. Charles presented the topic on 'Lay Spirituality' which is related to the opportunity that the Family Life can offer in terms of serving the Church, community or family.
The topic on basic family mission in church or in the community called each family to :
- be a sign of unity be a witness of the Kingdom of God to the community
- consecrate their life to the Father through prayer
- put Christ as the centre of their lives
- provide assistance to young couples in crisis
- provide assistance to other families in need of special treatment and care
During the small group discussion on the reality of Family Life it was noted that the following issues were taken for granted in the family or community. Some highlights gathered :
- cohabitation, ignoring the Sacrament of Holy Matrimory
- consider marriage as a symbol of sexual pleasure
- some parents failed as 'first catechist' in the Catholic family
- marry at an early age
- many are not involved in any form of faith formation
- mix marriage gives rise to spiritual confusion between the couple and children
- effects of globalization
- in many marriage crisis they shun away from seeking counseling
- encounter communication problems in families
In conclusion, Fr Charles said, 'Lay Spirituality calls for a good grounding on family spirituality, referring always to the Holy Family of Nazareth. It is only through consecration to the Lord that we can achieve and accomplish the mission of the family in the Church or community.'