By Julita SOCCOM Tawau
Tawau : In launching the Diocesan level 'Year of Faith' on 7th November 2012 at St Mary's Cathedral Sandakan, Bishop Julius Dusin Gitom specifically reminded the faithful that 'faith must be shown in works of charity' aligning itself to James 2 : 17, 'In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.' In conjunction with the Season of Lent, parishioners of Holy Trinity Parish Tawau responded to the first Blood Donation Campaign for 2013.
This quarterly campaign is the joint effort of the Red Crescent Tawau Chapter and Holy Trinity Church which was held on Sunday, 17th March 2013 at the Parish Hall from 8.00 am till 12.30 noon. The campaign is also to raise awareness among parishioners the importance of blood donation, give blood and save life.
Members of the various groups, ministries and individual parishioners came forward to donate their blood joyfully. Out of the 84 registered, 70 donors were eligible to donate, whereas the others were rejected due to some health problem such as high or low blood pressure, low haemoglobin count and those on certain medication.
Most donors were regular though some of them were first timer. Below are some testimonies from donors :
- Donating blood is one way to help our brothers and sisters in need regardless of race or religion
- Blood is life and it is a precious donation as it can save lives
- It allows replenishment of blood donated and helps my body stay healthy
- It is a blessing to donate blood during this season of Lent as it is an act of charity and love
- Giving blood and saving life is an act of sharing ~ in fact giving and sharing lives.
As an appreciation from the organizer, a Certificate of Recognition and a record book were presented to the donor. A little token as well as light food was served to donors right after donating their blood.
The campaign ended at 12.30 noon. Mario received the certificate of appreciation on behalf of the Parish.