By Mary Marclyn Rendal, Children Liturgy
Photos by Carlos
Tawau : Understanding the fuller and deeper meaning of the Liturgy must be from the very beginning of each one's life as followers of Christ. With this awareness of an early exposure to the fundamental spiritual need, one must cultivate and place in their heart the importance of attending Mass from childhood.
The Children Liturgy team and the Sunday School facilitators in a joint effort, organized a one-day seminar called "A walk through Mass" on Saturday, 8th November 2014 from 7.30 am to 4.00 pm.
Some 150 children from the age range of 6 – 14 years of the three language groups, Bahasa, English and Chinese attended the seminar. Some parents were also present to lend support to their children. Their attendance is an indication of the importance of the Liturgy of the Eucharist to be understood by all, especially the younger generation
Participants were divided according to language groups, facilitated by their teachers. The program began with a prayer, followed by spiritual input and games.
Topics presented covered the following;
Part One :
- Introduction to the meaning of the Eucharistic celebration (What and Why)
- Explanation of each part of the celebration from the procession to the concluding prayer.
Part Two :
- The practical part of the Eucharistic celebration (experiencing the actual celebration)
- Fr. Johnny Raju presided the mass where all the children had the opportunity to serve in different tasks such as wardens, collectors, offertory, readers, commentator and choir.
Part three :
- Session on games to cultivate relationship bond.
- Clearing and cleaning up, instilling a sense of ownership and responsibility
Prizes donated by generous parishioners, parents and friends were given out to winners of the various games.
It was indeed meaningful to see the children and parents taking part in the seminar. It was a blessed day for everyone involved in the seminar. Congratulations to the organizing team!