Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, November 19, 2015

An Interview With Amylyn Bihin (Graduate of IFFAsia Batch 9, 2015)

Interview by DS          
Amylyn Bihin hails from Kiulu, Tamparuli. After her tertiary education, she worked at Asrama Desa Pukak, Kiulu for about a year. The hostel, run by Good Shepherd Welfare Centre, caters to children from remote villages around Kampung Pukak so that they may attend school regularly.

While at university, she was actively involved with the Catholic Student Group. As such, she had the opportunity to work closely with the Kota Kinabalu Archdiocesan Youth Campus Ministry. She is grateful to her sending organization, the Archdiocese of Kota Kinabalu for the opportunity granted her to undergo a 11-month formation at IFFAsia, Quezon City, Philippines.


Her sharing ........

Initially, I was worried whether my family would support me if I opt to serve full time in the Church. I realized that the formation process in IFFAsia would help to prepare me to assume the post as a full time youth minister at the archdiocese. It took me awhile to break the news to my family. I was not prepared. It was hard for me to arrive at a decision. It would be difficult for me to stay far away from my family for almost a year.

Two months before my departure, I broke the news to my family. They accepted my decision and supported me throughout my formation period. God has a way and God has a plan for me. I was relieved. I was ready to be transformed for mission. I left for IFFAsia in January and attended a one month intensive English course in preparation of the 11-month formation program conducted fully in English.
Fund Raising Project
As I looked back, IFFAsia has given me all the opportunity to grow and develop as a balanced individual. The community life in the institute, sharing various household responsibilities, ranging from marketing to general cleaning has taught me the importance of sharing responsibilities, being tolerant and acceptance of others. We were closely knitted. It is difficult for me to say goodbye to all my buddies coming from across Asia.
Interviewing Fr Hubert of Radio Varitas Asia
Exposure at Barangay Banlag
I used to take for granted my home, my family and even friends. The human development module has opened my eyes to the mistakes I made. Through the self discovery sessions, I now appreciate my family and friends more. It is a blessing to be part of a family and to be in the companion of friends. We need to relate to one another as a relational being.

We may fall and fail in life. We all encounter trials and tribulations. In moments of difficulties, we need to turn our eyes to the Lord. He is always present to console us, as in Psalm 50 : 15...'call upon me in the day of trouble, I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.'
Mission Project in Thailand, encountering migrant children
Social Immersion in Compostela Valley, Davao
Encountering with children of Nawasa
The many social and pastoral exposures; encounter with the youth, outreach to the children and the elderly and the mission project in Thailand has enriched me tremendously the meaning of mission. It is in serving the poor that we actually serve Christ.
Cultural Nite
With new skills, knowledge and tools provided by IFFAsia coupled with the right attitude, I hope to be an effective missionary disciple as I return to my community in Sabah. I hope to be one of the many-hands-one-heart team to make Christ known to all.
L-R : Amylyn, Imelda and Jellferlyne
Everyone has a place in the body of Christ, the Church. We are the living stones of the temple of the Lord. Each has a role and each has something to contribute for the well being of the Church.

Pope Francis said, 'No one is useless in the Church. We are all equal in the eyes of God.' Together, we are then the 'many hands one heart' team. What are we waiting for? Let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CATHOLIC APOLOGETICS

New Advent