Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

A Sharing By Jellferlyne Joseph (Graduate of IFFAsia Batch 9, 2015)

Interview conducted by DS
Jellferlyne Joseph who hails from Sandakan worked as a Program Officer with the Good Shepherd Welfare Centre in Sandakan since 2010. She journeyed with the migrant community; teaching the children of migrant workers the basic 3Rs, running community and capacity building program and conducting women empowerment sessions. She has a rich experience in the migrant ministry. She has just completed the 11-month formation at IFFAsia, at Fairview, Quezon City, Philippines.
When offered a place in IFFAsia, Philippines in January this year, I was nervous and anxious with many questions of what IFFAsia has to offer. I did a search on IFFAsia and after consulting my seniors from IFFAsia, based in Sandakan, it had sorted out many matters bothering me. 

L-R : Jellferlyne, Imelda and Amylyn
Initially I encountered challenges and conflicts  living in a community of various nationalities of different background, culture and practice. It took me awhile to get adapted to the setting. After some months into that community living, I realized I had learn more of myself and had grown more matured. I am grateful that the environment in IFFAsia promotes the spirit of tolerance and acceptance.

I discovered more of myself through the human development module, one of the four modules of the formation process in IFFAsia. I am more aware of my own strength and weaknesses. I appreciate and love myself as what I am and this leads me to see the beauty in others. God's love is unconditional and I am grateful of what I am and it is an invitation for me to accept others as what they are.

The one month exposure and my encounter with the children and women of the the Rohingya refugees in Thailand in September 2015 has opened my eyes to the pastoral approaches adopted by the Suratani Diocese. They have good programs and strong support from the lay faithful in their outreach mission to the refugees. 

IFFAsia has challenged me to go beyond my comfort zone. It has formed and transformed me. I am well prepared to implement of what is contained in my Development Action Plan. With wider networking, new skill and knowledge and looking at things from a wider perspective, I hope to be more effective in my mission. 

Thank you IFFAsia, my sending organization, the Good Shepherd Welfare Centre Sabah, all sponsors and supporters and my family members for the opportunity and support given me throughout the journey of my formation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CATHOLIC APOLOGETICS

New Advent